Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: GRAMMAR CHALLENGE: verb, object, to+infinitive

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Friday, February 17, 2012

GRAMMAR CHALLENGE: verb, object, to+infinitive

Verb, object, to + infinitive
We use this structure to report requests, advice, encouragement and warning.
In today's challenge, Ehsan from Iran hears clips from a children's party and tells us what advice his parents gave him when he left Tehran...
Listen

Listen to the programme!


Find out more
Certain verbs may be followed by an object and then by an infinitive with to – I told you to do it. The negative infinitive is formed with not – I told you not to do it.
subjectverbobject(not) to + infinitive
Marco's motherorderedhimto get intothe car.
Elenatoldthe childrennot to touchthe glasses.

The following verbs take this pattern:
advise
allow
ask
beg
command
encourage
forbid
force
instruct
invite
oblige
order
permit
persuade
remind
tell
want
warn

No comments:

Post a Comment