Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Listening about going to the dentist: daily lesson

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Listening about going to the dentist: daily lesson



Going to the Dentist

Going to the Dentist

May 16 2016
Intro
When was the last time you visited the dentist? Did it make you feel really anxious? Going to the dentist isn’t fun for most people. First, you have to fill out pages of forms. Then, you have to wait for a while. When the dentist is ready to see you, you need to sit in the dentist’s chair and open your mouth wide as he looks at your teeth. If the dentist finds a problem, he might want to start drilling! Yikes!

On the other hand, maybe you like going to the dentist. You might listen to music when filling out the forms. You might read a magazine when waiting. If you take very good care of your teeth, brushing them andflossing them every day, maybe the dentist won’t want to start drilling holes in your teeth. You probably think the dentist is helpful, not sadistic.

Learn what Andy and Dominique think about going to the dentist in today’s English lesson.
Dialogue
Andy_H: Hey Dominique! I just finished watching “Little Shop of Horrors,” and it reminded me of my anxiety for going to the dentist. It’s something that I really don’t like doing. I usually expect the worst. When I’m actually in a chair at the dentist, I feel like the dentist might be some kind of sadistic weirdo.
Dominique:  I actually love going to the dentist.
Andy_H:  Really?
Dominique:  I love getting my teeth clean. Just something about the dentist cleaning my teeth, it makes me feel really good, and I like seeing my x-rays, too.
Andy_H:  The coolest part about me going to the dentist is actually seeing my x-ray. I do like seeing my teeth, but whenever the doctor is chiseling or drilling inside my mouth, I always start to clench the armbars and really just get anxious.
Dominique:  I get anxious, too, but in a really good way, like I can’t wait. I’m actually going this Wednesday.
Andy_H:  Really?
Dominique:  Yes, I am excited.
Andy_H:  Well, you know, maybe I’ll have to book my own appointment. It’s been a while.
Discussion
Andy just watched a movie about a plant that ate a sadistic dentist. This movie reminded Andy of going to the dentist! Andy feels a lot of anxiety at the dentist because he worries that the person drilling and chiseling on his teeth is a sadistic weirdo. The only thing Andy likes is seeing his x-rays.

Dominique, however, has a different opinion. Instead of feeling anxious, she loves going to the dentist. She likes the x-rays, and she feels good after the dentist cleans her teeth. In fact, she’s excited about going to the dentist again this Wednesday. After listening to Dominique, Andy says he might book a dentist appointment soon.

Do you like visiting the dentist? Do you brush and floss your teeth every day?
Grammar Point

Gerunds vs. Infinitives

In today’s dialog, Dominique says, “I actually love goingto the dentist.” In this sentence, Dominque is using agerund.

Gerunds and infinitives are both verbal forms that act as nounsGerunds end in -ing, such as brushing, flossing, or goingInfinitives are the basic verb form with the particle to, as in to brush, to floss, or to go.

Sometimes, it can be difficult to know whether it’s best to use a gerund or an infinitive in a sentence. Here are a few rules:

Both gerunds and infinitives can follow a verb, as in, “I love going to the dentist,” or, “I love to go to the dentist.” They can also both be the subject of a sentence, as in, “Being a dentist is difficult,” or, “To be a dentist is difficult.”

But only gerunds follow prepositions. For example, it’s correct to say, “I can’t go to bed without brushing my teeth,” but it’s not correct to say, “I can’t go to bed without to brush my teeth.”

Which is correct, “I always brush my teeth before going to the dentist” or, “I always brush my teeth before to go to the dentist”?
Quiz

  1. Why doesn’t Andy like going to the dentist?
  2. When does Dominique have a dentist appointment?
  3. Another word for make a small hole in somethingis__.
  4. Which sentence does NOT use a gerund?

No comments:

Post a Comment