Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Street signs that reflect reality A series of fake place names created by an artist have been left untouched

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Street signs that reflect reality A series of fake place names created by an artist have been left untouched


ACCORDING TO EL PAIS EN INGLÉS,

If you took a quick glance at the
sign in Cabeza street you would
be forgiven for not realizing that it
is unofficial. It is made with the
same tile and the same font as the
other place names that are so prevalent in the old part ofMadrid. But
this one is different. Instead of the
usual illustration, usually alluding
to the history of the street in question, there is an image that reflects a regular Lavapiés street,
with a rundown building facade,
cables hanging loose, damp patches and a STOP sign covered with
stickers advertising rooms to rent
for ¤200. In fact, it’s a drawing of
the very street corner where the
sign is located.
“I wanted to reflect the reality
using a very common element as
a way of drawing attention to the
actual state of the neighborhood,”
explains Diana Larrea, who is behind this urban intervention. “But
they are very well disguised, and
not a lot of people even notice
them.”
The project is called Calles distinguidas (Distinguished streets,
www.dianalarrea.com), and won
a competition run by the Associated Visual Artists of Madrid
(AVAM), which received sponsorship from the regional government

Read more in El Pais en ingles, WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2011. Link on the right side.

No comments:

Post a Comment