Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: ADVANCED IDIOMS. 14-05-2011. 02

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Saturday, May 14, 2011

ADVANCED IDIOMS. 14-05-2011. 02



  1. HAVE A GOOD HEAD FOR BUSINESS v. phr.To have a special talent in a certain area. Joan has quite a good head for business administration.
  2. HAVE SOMEONES'S INTEREST AT HEART   to make decisions based on someone's best interests. I know she was only doing what would benefit her, but she said she had my best interests at heart.
  3. YOUR HEART SINKS f someone's heart sinks, they start to feel sad or worried He looked at the huge pile of work on his desk and his heart sank.
  4. FACE THE MUSIC Fig. to receive punishment; to accept the unpleasant results of one's actions. Mary broke a dining-room window and had to face the music when her father got home. After failing a math test, Tom had to go home and face the music.
  5. SAVE FACE to do something so that people will continue to respect you Are the ministers involved more interested in saving face than telling the truth?
SOURCE: SEVERAL DICTIONARIES AND TOTAL ENGLISH ADVANCED COURSE. LONGMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment