Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: BASIC DAILY ENGLISH VOCABULARY with PICTURE. GUN. 2011-15-05. 15-05-2011.

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Sunday, May 15, 2011

BASIC DAILY ENGLISH VOCABULARY with PICTURE. GUN. 2011-15-05. 15-05-2011.

Definition from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English 
Advanced Learner's Dictionary, by clicking comments.


1 comment:

  1. gun [countable]
    1 a metal weapon which shoots bullets or SHELLs
    have/hold/carry a gun
    I could see he was carrying a gun.
    I've never fired a gun in my life.
    Jake was pointing a gun at the door.
    Two policemen were killed in a gun battle.
    2
    put/hold a gun to somebody's head
    a) to put a gun very close to someone's head to shoot them or to force them to do something:
    He put a gun to her head and told the cashier to hand over the money.
    b) to force someone to do something they do not want to do:
    You chose to live here. Nobody put a gun to your head.
    3 a tool that forces out small objects or a liquid by pressure:
    a paint gun
    a nail gun
    ➔ FLASHGUN, SPRAY GUN
    4 also starting pistol a gun which is fired into the air at the start of a race
    5 American English informal
    big/top gun
    someone who is very important within an organization:
    Jed wanted to impress a Harvard professor and some other big guns.
    6
    hired gun
    American English informal someone who is paid to shoot someone else
    7
    with all guns blazing
    if you do something with all guns blazing, you do it with a lot of energy, determination, and noise
    ➔ SON OF A GUN
    ; ➔ stick to your guns
    at STICK1
    ; ➔ jump the gun
    atJUMP1 (11)
    ; ➔ be going great guns
    at GREAT1 (11)
    ; ➔ spike somebody's guns
    at SPIKE2 (6)
    Definition from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
    Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

    ReplyDelete