Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Blog for learning English: READING PRACTICE. 05-02-2011. 02-05-2011. How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Linguistics.

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Monday, May 2, 2011

Blog for learning English: READING PRACTICE. 05-02-2011. 02-05-2011. How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Linguistics.


My college admissions essay said it all — if only I had stopped and listened to myself at the time. I was more concerned with finding a hook that would set me apart from the tens of thousands of other applicants, who were, of course, trying to do the same thing.
At my affluent public high school, potential pre-meds and Wall Streeters (yes, at age 17) lined the hallways. Foreign languages were a more unlikely passion. So I seized on that, choosing to narrate my journey from middle-school Francophilia to full-blown foreign grammar nerd.
Looking through the brochures accumulated on endless campus visits, I didn’t find many schools that offered bachelor’s degrees to people who studied a random assortment of languages, and wanderlust made me reluctant to choose one. But most offered a major in something called linguistics. Maybe by professing my appetite for such a charmingly obscure course of study, I could win over the admissions officers.
To demonstrate that I actually knew what “linguistics” meant, after a cursory glance atWikipedia I wrote a closing paragraph that went: “What is the psychology behind language? How and why did different languages develop? More specifically, why do children automatically assume that the past tense of ‘go’ is ‘goed’ when they have never heard adults use anything but ‘went’? These are questions that fascinate me.” And so when asked for my tentative major, I filled out Linguistics, Code 638, on my applications.
SOURCE: THE NEW YORK TIMES. EDUCATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment