Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Blog for learning English: SAYING. 05-02-2011. 02-05-2011. Better the foot slip than the tongue.

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Monday, May 2, 2011

Blog for learning English: SAYING. 05-02-2011. 02-05-2011. Better the foot slip than the tongue.

Better the foot slip than the tongue
Possible interpretation: It is better to take a bad step in walking than to say the wrong thing in talking. We can do a lot of damage when we say something by mistake. The elliptical nature of this saying may make it difficult to understand. The full version might be something like: "It is better that your foot should slip than that your tongue should slip."
Note: foot (noun): the end part of the leg on which we stand or walk | slip (verb): slide by accident | tongue (noun): large, movable fleshy part in the mouth that we use for talking and tasting
Quick Quiz:
If you believe the proverb "Better the foot slip than the tongue", you will probably be most careful when
a.  walking
b.  talking
c.   eating
  
SOURCE: ENGLISHCLUB.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment