Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Essential daily English vocabulary with pictures. Wax. 2011-11-05.

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Essential daily English vocabulary with pictures. Wax. 2011-11-05.


argument
1 [countable] a situation in which two or more people disagree, often angrily [= disagreement]
argument with
I broke the vase during an argument with my husband.
argument about/over
an argument about who was responsible for the accident
Henning told the police that she and her husband had an argumentbefore he left.
I got into an argument with the other driver.
Shelton and the woman had a heated argument (=very angry one).
a fierce argument between the two politicians
win/lose an argument
The party hopes to win the argument about how to reform the health system.
2 [countable] a set of reasons that show that something is true or untrue, right or wrong etc:
We need to provide a convincing argument as to why the system should be changed.
argument for/against
a powerful argument against smoking
A good argument can be made for comparing the IT revolution with the invention of writing itself.
the arguments in favour of banning tobacco advertising
argument that
the familiar argument that the costs outweigh the benefits
3 [uncountable] when you disagree with something or question whether it is right
do something without (further) argument
Ian accepted the suggestion without argument.
for the sake of argument (=in order to discuss all the possibilities)
If, for the sake of argument, you aren't offered the job, what will you do?
Definition from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
Advanced Learner's Dictionary.


No comments:

Post a Comment