Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: churn

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Saturday, October 6, 2012

churn


churn [countable]
1 a container used for shaking milk in order to make it into butter
2 also milk churn British English a large metal container used to carry milk in
bat [countable]
1 a small animal like a mouse with wings that flies around at night ➔ fruit bat
bat
2
a) a long wooden stick with a special shape that is used in some sports and games:
a baseball bat
a cricket bat
b) British English a round flat piece of wood with a handle, used to hit a ball in table tennis[= paddle American English]
3

be at bat

 to be the person who is trying to hit the ball in a game ofbaseball
4

do something off your own bat

British English informal to do something without being told to do it:
She went to see a solicitor off her own bat.
5

do something right off the bat

American English informal to do something immediately:
He said yes right off the bat.
6

like a bat out of hell

informal very fast:
I drove like a bat out of hell to the hospital.
7

old bat

spoken an unpleasant old woman

➔ as blind as a bat

at blind1 (1c)
wallet
 Related topics: Clothes and Fashion
wal‧let [countable]
1 a small flat case, often made of leather, that you carry in your pocket, for holding paper money, bank cards etc [= billfold AmE; ↪ purse]
in your wallet
I've only got about £10 in my wallet.
He took a credit card out of his wallet.
2 British English a case for documents, often made of leather or plastic
check‧up , check-up [countable]
a general medical examination that a doctor ordentist gives you to make sure you are healthy:
It's important to have regular checkups.
checkup

No comments:

Post a Comment