Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: umbrella

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Thursday, October 11, 2012

umbrella



um‧brel‧la [countable]
1 an object that you use to protect yourself against rain or hot sun. It consists of a circular folding frame covered in cloth [↪ parasol]:
It started to rain, so Tricia stopped to put upher umbrella.
I spent the day on the beach, lying under a beach umbrella, reading.
2

umbrella organization/group/agency etc

 an organization that includes many smaller groups
3

umbrella term/word/title etc

 a word whose meaning includes many different types of a particular thing:
District nurses, health visitors, and school nurses will come under the umbrella term 'community nursing'.
4

(come/work etc) under the umbrella of something

 to be part of a larger organization or involved in the work done by it:
The international education program came under the umbrella of the State Department.
5 the protection given by a powerful country, army, a weapons system etc:
the American nuclear umbrella over western Europe

No comments:

Post a Comment