Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Match Up Result

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Match Up Result



obtrude - To impose (oneself or one's ideas) on others with undue insistence or without invitation.


Synonyms: push out, thrust out

Usage: He never hesitated to obtrude his opinion on others, believing that everyone must value what he had to say.

excoriate - To censure strongly.

Synonyms: abrade, condemn, denounce

Usage: The newspaper printed an editorial that excoriated the administration for its inaction.

carouse - To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Synonyms: revel, make merry, roister, riot, wassail

Usage: They were so happy to be finished with exams that they continued to carouse until morning, when the bartender finally asked them to leave.

escalate - To increase, enlarge, or intensify.

Synonyms: intensify, step up

Usage: Tensions escalated as the politicians refused to compromise.

muster - To call (troops) together, as for inspection.

Synonyms: rally, summon, come up

Usage: It was the strongest fortress France possessed, and if the king had better sense, he would have sent all the ships he could muster to protect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment