Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: chew the fat | chew the rag

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Sunday, September 22, 2013

chew the fat | chew the rag

chew the fat | chew the rag


Picture source: en.wikipedia.org

Meaning:
 If you chew the fat, or chew the rag, you have a long, friendly chat with someone.
For example:
  • I sometimes call Wendy late at night and we chew the fat for an hour or so before going to sleep.
  • Why don't you come over on Sunday morning and I'll make some breakfast and we can chew the rag for a couple of hours?
Note: "Chew the fat" is used more in British and Australian English, while "chew the rag" is used more in American English.

Quick Quiz:
While I was chewing the fat with Graham, he
  1. ate too much fat and got sick
  2. told me all about his new job
  3. got really tired and asked me to stop
www.englishclub.com

No comments:

Post a Comment