Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Learning English while laughing /Ed Stein

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Learning English while laughing /Ed Stein

We'd better step on it: 


    2      step   steps   stepping   stepped 
            If you step on something or step in a particular direction, you put your foot on the thing or move your foot in that direction.
                This was the moment when Neil Armstrong became the first man to step on the Moon.
                She accidentally stepped on his foot on a crowded commuter train.
                I tried to step back, but he held my upper arms too tightly.
            VB 

You are new on that beat 
7.
a. The area regularly covered by a reporter, police officer, or a sentry: television's culture beat.
b. The reporting of a news item obtained ahead of one's competitors.

Will I need pepper spray?

pepper spray
n
1. (Chemistry) a defence spray agent derived from hot cayenne peppers,which causes temporary blindness and breathing difficulty, sometimesused to control riots

2. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) a defence spray agent derived from hot cayenne peppers, which causes temporary blindness andbreathing difficulty, sometimes used to control riots


Freshly Squeezed


Idioms with the word "beat":
beat all
To be impressive or amazing. Often used in negativeconditional constructions: If that doesn't beat all!
beat a retreat
To make a hasty withdrawal.
beat around/about the bush
To fail to confront a subject directly.
beat it Slang
To leave hurriedly.
beat the bushes
To make an exhaustive search.
beat the drum/drums
To give enthusiastic public support or promotion: apolitician who beats the drum for liberalism.
beat up on
1. To attack physically.
2. To criticize or scold harshly.
to beat the band
To an extreme degree.



No comments:

Post a Comment