Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: He who pays the piper calls the tune

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Sunday, February 1, 2015

He who pays the piper calls the tune

He who pays the piper calls the tune


He who pays the piper calls the tune



Meaning: The person who pays a musician can decide what music he wants to hear. And the person who pays for any service has the right to say exactly what he wants.
Note: piper (noun) = a person who plays the pipe (a musical instrument) | tune (noun) = a melody; a piece of music

Quick Quiz:
Mark tapped his wallet and said to his friends, "He who pays the piper calls the tune", meaning that
  1. he wondered if they'd like to go to a concert
  2. he would decide where they would eat
  3. he'd spent all his money
Source: englishclub.com

No comments:

Post a Comment