Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Chappie

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Monday, March 16, 2015

Chappie

Chappie

Mar 13 2015
Intro
What happens when robots become our police? Probably nothing good. But what happens when one of those robots is taken and changed to think for himself? Well, that’s “Chappie.” A world of thinking, feeling robots is real in this movie by Neill Blomkamp, the director of “District 9.”

“Chappie” is set in South Africa. It is about a new kind of robot that is made like a human. In the movie, “Chappie” must fight back against people trying to terminate him. Some fans may not typically like robot movies, but “Chappie” isn’t a normal robot.

Sarah’s a big fan of movies with robots. But can she get Kellie to see it with her? Find out more in this English lesson about a new film.
Dialogue
English, baby! English lesson audio.
Sarah: Kellie, have you seen the trailer for “Chappie?” I just saw it and it wowed me.
Kellie: Oh, really? Yeah, I did see it actually. I don’t know that director though, do you?
Sarah: I do. He’s the same director who made “District 9.” His work is unparalleled.
Kellie: I’m not really into movies about robots, but it seemed kind of interesting where the robot can think for himself. Is that correct?
Sarah: Yes, they make this robot who can think for himself, and then he’s in danger because some of the other people don’t want him to exist. Does this sound interesting to you? Do you want to go see this?
Kellie: Yeah, I mean I might want to see it. I’m always up for going to see a movie.
Sarah: Come and see it with me, and if you don’t like it, I’ll buy pizza.
Kellie: OK, sounds good.
Discussion
Sarah wants to go see the new movie “Chappie,” because the trailer wowed her. She likes thedirector, who also made the movie “District 9,” and thinks that his work is unparalleled. Sarah hopes to bring Kellie along to the theater.

Kellie is on the fence about whether or not she wants to see “Chappie.” She doesn’t normally like movies about robots, but she does admit this one seems kind of interesting. When Sarah offers to buy pizza for her, Kellie agrees to go.

Do you like movies about robots? What is your favorite one?
Grammar Point
First Conditional

Sarah wants Kellie to come see the movie “Chappie” with her. She says, “Come and see it with me, and if you don’t like it, I’ll (I willbuy pizza.” She uses the first conditional.

The first conditional is used to discuss things that will probably happen in the future as the result of something else that happens in the present.

The first conditional is formed with two clauses. One clause uses if + simple present verb, as in, “If you come to the movie…” The other clause uses a simple future verb, as in, ”...I will buypizza.” So all together, the sentence reads: “If you come to the movie, I will buy pizza.”

We use the first conditional to talk about future events that are likely to happen. If you treat your friends nicely, they will treat you nicely, too.

Which is correct, “If you will help me, I will buy you dinner,” or, “If you help me, I will buy you dinner”?
Quiz

  1. The director who made “Chappie” also made __.
  2. What did Sarah say she would buy if Kellie goes to see the movie with her?
  3. The words wow and __ have the same meaning.
  4. Which is not in the first conditional?

See the full English lesson at English, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment