Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: My English page. Listening transcript

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My English page. Listening transcript

Sleeping In

Mar 18 2015
Intro
When you’re tired or haven’t been sleeping well, the best feeling is to get extra time to lounge in bed. It’s always great to sleep in when you don’t have to wake up at a specific time. Whether it’s a few more minutes or an hour or two, getting more rest in your comfy bed is such a great feeling.

Our lives are so busy and we always seem to be on a schedule. So it’s a real treat to not have something to do and just lie in bed for as long as you like. When you do finally feel like you’re ready to begin your day, you feel more relaxed and ready to get things done.

Jessica tells Gary about how she’s been sleeping in more often. Find out more in today’s English lesson about using the snooze button.
Dialogue
English, baby! English lesson audio.
Gary: So, you’ve been sleeping in more?
Jessica:  I have been sleeping in more. I used to be an early morning person. And now I just like to lounge and lay in bed. It’s so comfy.
Gary:  I guess I wake up with the sun. I’m an early riser.
Jessica:  Are you?
Gary:  And also, I’m such a light sleeper.
Jessica:  Oh, really?
Gary:  If our neighbors are making any noise, I’ll actually wake up to it. So, if they’re making breakfast, my mind just says, “Hey, get up! It’s time to go eat!”
Jessica:  I wish I could just wake up when I saw the sun or heard noises outside. I got in thehabit of hitting snooze too many times. And then I’m usually groggy if I do get up too early.
Gary:  So the bed is a bit of a refuge for you from the world?
Jessica:  Exactly. Yes.
Gary:  It’s nice to escape. I’ve had a hard time sleeping in. I’ve actually tried. And I just can’t do it.
Jessica:  I’ll give you some pointers.
Discussion
Jessica has started to sleep in more often. Her bed is just so comfy and it’s a great feeling to keep sleeping in the morning. Sometimes she does wish that she could wake up a little earlier, but getting more sleep just feels so nice that she’s trying to get Gary to sleep in more often.

Gary says that he’s a light sleeper and can’t sleep in. When he hears his neighbors making breakfast, it wakes him. He’s an early riser and usually gets up with the sun. He tells Jessica that he’s tried to sleep in, but woke up anyway.

Do you like sleeping in? How often do you use the snooze button?
Grammar Point
Phrasal Verbs

Jessica says, “I have been sleeping in more.” She uses a phrasal verb.

Phrasal verbs are composed of a verb + a preposition or adverb that changes the original meaning of the verb. For instance, a lot of phrasal verbs take the preposition “out.” Examples include break out (get away from), hand out (give to people), and, of course, make out (kiss a lot).

Some phrasal verbs are non-separable, meaning the preposition must directly follow the verb. For instance, you can say “I dropped by the bar,” but not “I dropped the bar by” because drop by is non-separable.

On the other hand, drop off is separable. You can say, “I have to drop off my son at school,” or, “I have to drop my son off at school.”

Which is correct, “If you want the job, you really have to go after it,” or, “If you want the job, you really have to go it after”?
Quiz

  1. Why does Jessica like to sleep in?
  2. Why is Gary unable to sleep in?
  3. Gary is an __ and gets up when the sun rises.
  4. Which sentence uses a phrasal verb?

See the full English lesson at English, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment