Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Own up: phrasal verb

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Own up: phrasal verb

PHRASAL VERB. Own up.


own up Meaning: If you own up to something, you admit that you've done something wrong or made a mistake. For example:

  • own up We were pretty sure Sam was the one who'd been stealing money from our company, but he wouldn’t own up. He kept saying it wasn’t him.
  • own up to sth Politicians don't usually own up to their mistakes and misjudgments, let alone their crimes against humanity.
  • own up to doing sth Our son owned up to taking money from his mother's purse after we found him looking through her bag again.
Nouns often used as objects with
own up: to stealing, cheating, lying :to fraud, theft, crime, mistake, error, dishonesty


Quick Quiz:
After talking to his teacher, Jason has owned up to
  1. failing his exam
  2. passing his exam
  3. cheating in his exam
ENGLISHCLUB.COM
picture source:http://www.readbangkokpost.com/images/confess.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment