Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Daily English: tunning

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Daily English: tunning

Tanning

Jul 27 2015
Intro
Who doesn’t love to walk on the beach? There’s the sand between your toes, the sound of the ocean, the smell of the sea air. But there’s also the sun on yourskin, which can be risky if you aren’t wearing anysunscreen.

While it’s true that too much tanning can be bad for you, many people choose to be in the sun. They believe that they look healthier when their skin isn’t pasty. And of course, there are people who must work outside, and athletes who train outdoors as well. The question is, how much sun is too much sun?

Kellie likes tanning, but Marni isn’t so sure. Learn their opinions in today’s English lesson about spending time in the sun.
Dialogue
English, baby! English lesson audio.
Kellie: Hey, Marni. Do you want to go tanning?
Marni: Tanning in a tanning bed?
Kellie: Yes. Mm-hm.
Marni: I just am not into that, I have to say. I know I’mpasty white and all, but I just think it’s too risky. I think about melanoma, and I just don’t think I’d want to do that.
Kellie: Well, I understand. It’s a trade-off, but you just look and feel really nice afterward.
Marni: Do you think it contributes to your quality of life, being tan?
Kellie: I don’t know. Maybe. I just like the way I look afterward. And I get a really nice, even tan, so…
Marni: Well, I don’t think I can do it. I don’t think I can pay to tan. I just have to embrace my winter whiteness.
Kellie: Alright. Well, that’s cool.
Discussion
Kellie wants Marni to join her for tanning, but Marni isn’t exactly interested. She believes that tanning is dangerous, and she doesn’t want to get melanoma. It’s OK with Marni that her skin is white and doesn’t look like she’s ever in the sun. She prefers to be pasty than to become sick.

But Kellie explains that she likes the way she looks after lying in a tanning bed. To her, the dangers of tanning are a trade-off for feeling good about herself. Marni disagrees with Kellie’s opinion, but they still respect each other.

How do you feel about tanning?
Grammar Point
Verbs with -ing

Kellie asks Marni, “Do you want to go tanning?” She uses a verb with -ing.

You’ve probably seen a lot of verbs with -ing at the end of them, like sleeping, talking, or walking. There are two basic reasons to add -ing to the end of a verb: to form one of the progressive tenses, or to make a gerund.

We use the progressive tenses to talk about on-going actions. There are progressive tenses for the past, present, and future. For example, the present progressive looks like this: “I am walking to work right now.” Progressive tenses are formed with be + main verb + -ing, as in, “Joe stopped by while I was watchinga movie.”

Verbs ending in -ing can also be gerunds, which act like nouns in a sentence. In the sentence, “I do the cleaningand my wife does the cooking,” both cleaning andcooking are gerundsGerunds often follow other verbs, as in, “I can’t stop thinking about you,” or, “I loveskating.” In Kellie’s example above, tanning is a gerund.

Which is correct, “She driving the bus today,” or, “She is driving the bus today”?
Quiz

  1. Why doesn’t Marni want to go tanning?
  2. Why does Kellie like tanning?
  3. Some people believe that tanning is __.
  4. Which sentence uses a gerund?


No comments:

Post a Comment