Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Idioms Call the shots

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Friday, October 23, 2015

Idioms Call the shots

call the shots

"call the shots"

Oct 15 2015
Quote
“I’ve always wanted to call the shots because I would rather fail than not have a chance to figure it out on my own.”

Actor and director Jon Favreau, talking about how he likes to be in charge (BrainyQuote)
Meaning
make all of the decisions, be in charge
Use
In the movie, “The Godfather,” Don Vito Corleone is the head of an Italian family. Everybody know that if they have a problem, they can go to Don Vito, and he will fix it. That’s because in “The Godfather,” Don Vito calls the shots.

To call the shots means to be in charge. In sports, there are often very good players, but the coach is the person who calls the shots. At work, even if you do an amazing job and make your company a lot of money, it’s your boss who is the one calling the shots. If you don’t like other people calling the shots, then start a company and be your own boss!

Jon Favreau likes being the one who calls the shots. For him, work is no fun if he is doing what other people tell him to do. He wants to do things his own way.

Do you like calling the shots? When do you get to be a leader?
Examples
“Every time she comes over for dinner, she wants to call the shots. It’s annoying!”
“Lebron James is the best player on the team, so he calls the shots.”
“When you’re the boss, you get to call the shot
Source: my English page

No comments:

Post a Comment