Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: English Idioms, Slangs and Phrasal Verbs: Serve someone right

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

English Idioms, Slangs and Phrasal Verbs: Serve someone right

English Idioms, Slangs and Phrasal Verbs: Serve someone right:


found in: Dictionary/thesaurusMedicalLegal,FinancialEncyclopediaWikipedia.

serve someone right

[for an act or event] to punish someone fairly (for doing something). John copied off my test paper. It would serve him right if he fails the test. It'd serve John right if he got arrested.
See also: rightserve
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

serve (someone) right

To be deserved under the circumstances: Punish him; it will serve him right for what he has done to you.
See also: rightserve
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

serve somebody right

if something bad that happens serves someone right, they deserve it It would serve you right if your children never spoke to you again. And she didn't get the promotion she'd hoped for, which served her right for being so smug.
See also: rightserve
Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd ed. Copyright © Cambridge University Press 2006. Reproduced with permission.

serve you right

you deserve the punishment that you receivedAfter the way she treated him, it would serve her right if he left her.
Usage notes: often said with an attitude of pleasure because someone you do not like is suffering
See also: rightserve
Cambridge Dictionary of American IdiomsCopyright © Cambridge University Press 2003. Reproduced with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment