Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Google+listening about to play it safe

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Google+listening about to play it safe

Play It Safe

Play It Safe

Jan 19 2016
Intro
Think about this. A good-looking stranger asks you to go on a date with him. He says that he will take you to a wonderful restaurant, and then he will take you to watch a performance. This is very tempting, but what does your gut tell you? Do you trust this mystery man, or is he too good to be true? If you like taking chances, you might accept his offer. On the other hand, it may be better to play it safe and say no.

When you play it safe, you make the choice that will protect you the most. You avoid danger and don’t take any risks. It could be romantic to go on a date with a handsome stranger, but it could also be very dangerous. It is best to put some thought into your choice. If you don’t know this person, then you should probably play it safe and go out with friends instead.

Jessica is deciding if she should go on a date with her secret admirer. Find out if she will play it safe in today’s English lesson.
Dialogue
Romeo: Hey Jessica. How’s it going?
Jessica: Hi Romeo. Brian’s taking a client out for dinner.
Romeo: I didn’t come here to see Brian. I came here to see you.
Jessica: Why me?
Romeo: Brian tells me that someone’s been leavingmystery items. I just wanted to stop by and make sure everything was OK.
Jessica: That’s kind of you, but I’m fine. They’re kind ofromantic, actually.
Romeo: Who is it? Are you going to go out with him?
Jessica: Maybe. My gut tells me to play it safe and not meet him.
Romeo: Why not? Have you had your heart broken?
Jessica: Who hasn’t? Look, I don’t know. It is tempting. He’s put some thought into his gifts.
Romeo: I think you should go for it. He could be perfect for you!
Jessica: You don’t think I should play it safe?
Romeo: No, I don’t. If you don’t take chances, how will you ever find love again?
Jessica: This is true. OK, I’ll do it. But if the date is terrible, it will be your fault!
Romeo: I will take full responsibility. I promise.
Jessica: OK. Have a good night, Romeo!
Discussion
Romeo meets Jessica as she is leaving the office. Jessica is surprised to see him. She thinks that he wants to talk to Brian, but he came to visit her. Jessica has been receiving mystery gifts, and he wants to make sure that she feels safe. Jessica tells Romeo that the gifts are romantic, but her natural reaction is to play it safe and not meet her secret admirer.

Romeo tells Jessica that she should take a chance and go out with this person. It’s possible that he might be the perfect boyfriend for her. Jessica thinks about Romeo’s idea, and she agrees to go on the date. But she says that she will blame Romeo if the date is bad. He agrees to take full responsibility for the situation.

When do you play it safe? Did you ever go on a date with a stranger?
Grammar Point
Modal Verbs

Romeo is telling Jessica to take a chance on love. He says, “I think you should go for it. He could be perfect for you!” He uses two modal verbs.

Modal verbs come before and modify the main verb in a sentence and help explain ideas like possibility,necessity, or obligation. Here are several modal verbs and their functions:

Might expresses uncertainty about the present or future, as in, “I might quit my job next month,” or, “It might be cold out, so bring a jacket.”

Can expresses ability or possibility, as in, “I can speak French and Spanish,” or, “Students can get cheaper tickets at the movies.” It also asks permission or makes a request, as in, “Can you come over tonight?”

Must expresses necessity or obligation, as in, “I must go see my grandmother this weekend.” It also gives strong advice, as in, “You must quit smoking now that you’re pregnant.”

Should expresses obligation, as in, “I should study for my math test,” or probability, as in, “The package shouldarrive tomorrow, since I sent it last week.” It also gives advice. When Romeo says, “I think you should go for it,” he is giving a suggestion to Jessica.

Romeo also says, “He could be perfect for you.” In this sentence, could is a modal verb. Romeo uses could toshow possibility. It is possible that Jessica’s secret admirer is perfect for her. Could is also the past-tense form of the modal verb can.

Other modal verbs and modal verb phrases include:will, may, would, have to, need to, ought to, and be able to.

Which is correct, “We could go to the movies, or we could watch TV at home,” or, “We must go to the movies, or we must watch TV at home”?
Quiz

  1. Why did Romeo go to the StarScoop.com office?
  2. Jessica’s natural reaction is to __.
  3. Which person is playing it safe?
  4. Which sentence does not have a modal verb?

Source: www.myenglishpages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment