Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Google+:flying

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Google+:flying

Flying

Flying

Source: My English pages
Jan 25 2016
Intro
Do you like flying? It is amazing to be able to travel so fast and visit faraway places. There is nothing like sitting in a comfortable seat and looking out the window at beautiful clouds. Maybe, you enjoy taking offand seeing all the buildings grow smaller and smaller. Maybe, you like to hear the voice of the pilot over the speakers.

On the other hand, maybe, you do not like flying. Many people are afraid of flying. They think airplanes are dangerous. They think it is not natural for people to be up in the sky. However, many people still have to fly for work or to visit family. They have to come to terms withtheir fear and board an airplane. Maybe, once they are up in the air, they will feel like it is not so scary after all.

Romeo and Gary are talking about flying. Find out what they think in this English lesson.
Dialogue
Romeo: Are you still going to go to Denver?
Gary:  Yeah, my job sends me all over the place. I have to fly everywhere.
Romeo:  Oh, no. I couldn’t do that. I cannot fly. I amdeathly afraid of flying.
Gary:  Really? You could come to terms with it. You could actually join me. I have a companion ticket.
Romeo:  Uh, no. I’m good. The whole landing, the taking off, the being someplace where you’re not supposed to be… I mean, men weren’t made to fly. If we were made to fly, we would have had wings.
Gary:  Yeah. I don’t know. I guess I really like the idea of getting somewhere so quickly and flying so high.
Romeo:  Yeah.
Gary:  You know, the leg room... I’m not a fan of feelingcramped in these seats.
Romeo:  Right.
Gary:  I wish I could buy a business seat when I fly, but I don’t know, it’s really exciting to just fly all over the country and see so many places.
Romeo:  Yeah, that’s what they made cars for.
Gary:  So, I can’t get you to come with me this time.
Romeo:  If you were willing to drive, we could do that. We could make a road trip out of it. But I’m not about to fly.
Gary:  Huh. I’ll think about that.
Discussion
Gary has to fly all over the place for his job. He likes being up high among the clouds. He likes getting from place to place quickly. He invites Romeo to go on a flight to Denver with him. He has a companion ticket, so Romeo would be able to join him for free.

Romeo does not like flying. He is scared of being in an airplane. He thinks that people are not meant to be up so high in the sky. Taking off and landing are stressful for him. He tells Gary that they can travel together but only if they go in a car. Gary says he will think about going on a road trip with Romeo.

Do you like to fly? Where do you want to go in an airplane?
Grammar Point
Second Conditional

Romeo tells Gary he will only travel with him if they go in a car. He says, “If you were willing to drive, we could do that.” He uses the second conditional.

We use the second conditional (also sometimes called the “present unreal conditional”) to talk about a situation that is not real or is unlikely to happen and what might happen as a result.

For example, I might say, “If I had a million dollars, I would go on a trip around the world.” I don’t have a million dollars. That situation is unreal. But if I did have a million dollars, an around-the-world trip might happen.

The second conditional is formed with two clauses. The first clause consists of if + subject + past tense verb, as in “If I loved him…” The second clause is formed with “subject + would + verb, as in ”...I would marry him.” All together, the sentence looks like this: “If I loved him, I would marry him.”

Note that you can also use should, could, or mightinstead of would with the second conditional. For example, Romeo says, “we could do that” rather than “we would do that.”

Which is correct, “If I told you, you would be surprised,” or, “If I would tell you, you would be surprised”?
Quiz

  1. Where is Gary flying to?
  2. Gary wishes he could buy a __.
  3. What is a road trip?
  4. We use the second conditional to __.

No comments:

Post a Comment