Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Listening: sleeping bags

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Listening: sleeping bags

Sleeping Bags

Sleeping Bags

Jan 18 2016
Intro
Do you like sleeping under the stars? It can be fun and exciting to get out in nature. It can also be cold at night! If you like to go camping, you need a good sleeping bag. A sleeping bag will keep you warm and make you feel secure. Some sleeping bags are made for very cold places. People who climb high mountains always take a sleeping bag to protect them against the cold.

If you don’t like feeling restricted, you might not like sleeping bags. Maybe, small spaces scare you, or maybe, you like having your feet free. You can still go camping. All you need is a warm blanket… or two or three!

Gary and Jessica are talking about sleeping bags. Find out what they think in this English lesson.
Dialogue
Jessica: I am so excited to go camping this year because I love how cozy my sleeping bag is.
Gary:  Oh, my. I have one. I have a sleeping bag at home, but I almost never use it because I just feel sorestricted when I get into a sleeping bag.
Jessica:  Really? Are you claustrophobic?
Gary:  I’m not. When I go outside, and I’m camping, and I have a sleeping bag, I feel like I’m always getting way too warm. I guess I just feel really overheated.
Jessica:  Oh, it gives me such a sense of security, though. When I’m out in the wild… and all the scary sounds that you hear sometimes… I just feel…
Gary:  It is really cozy.
Jessica:  Mm-hm.
Gary:  It’s such a cozy feeling, yeah.
Jessica:  That’s true.
Gary:  It’s almost like you’re cuddling up with someone, but you’re all alone.
Jessica:  Exactly. You’re enveloped in this fluffy, warm,snuggly sleeping bag. See?
Gary:  Protected by a tent.
Jessica:  I’m so excited. You’re making me even more excited to go camping.
Gary:  Well, have fun when you go out there. If you do need another sleeping bag, let me know. I’ve got one in the closet.
Jessica:  Sounds good.
Discussion
Jessica is excited to go camping this year. She loves to cuddle up in her sleeping bag and feel warm. It gives her a sense of security when she is out in nature. Sometimes, she hears scary sounds when she camps, but her sleeping bag makes her feel safe.

Gary doesn’t really like his sleeping bag. It makes him feel restricted. When he uses it, he feels too hot. He agrees with Jessica that sleeping bags are very cozy, though. They are so warm that it feels like you arecuddling up with someone. He offers to let Jessica borrow his sleeping bag if she needs an extra one.

Do you have a sleeping bag? Do you like camping?
Grammar Point
Adjectives

Jessica loves her sleeping bag. She calls it “this warm, fluffy, snuggly sleeping bag.” She uses three adjectives to describe it.

Adjectives are words that describe nouns and pronouns, for example, prettyhappyugly, or smart. Adjectives usually come before the noun, as in, “That was a scarymovie!” Many adjectives can modify one noun. There is no limit on how many adjectives you can use in a sentence.

Adjectives can follow a copular verb like befeelseem,look, and others. For example, we could say, “Your baby is very cute.” In this case, the adjective still modifies the subject of the sentence (your baby), not the verb (is).

Adjectives are also used to describe how someone feels. These adjectives often end in “ed,” like excited andpleased. Adjectives of emotion often follow the verb “to be.” For example, “Robert is excited to see the new Star Wars movie.”

Remember, unlike in some other languages, adjectiveshave only one form in English. They don’t have a singular and plural form or a masculine and feminine form. For instance, you wouldn’t say, “Those girls are beautifuls.” Even though there is more than one girl, you’d still say, “Those girls are beautiful.” Adjectives look the same no matter what noun they describe.

When Jessica describes her sleeping bag, she could also use the adjectives after a copular verb. She could say, “My sleeping bag is warmcozy, and snuggly.”

Which is correct? “The car red went fast,” or, “The red car went fast”?
Quiz

  1. Jessica is __ to go camping.
  2. Gary gets too __ when he sleeps in a sleeping bag.
  3. What is a good definition of claustrophobic?
  4. Which of the following is an adjective?

No comments:

Post a Comment