Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Meaning of the word block

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Friday, March 25, 2016

Meaning of the word block

Vocabulary
block [countable]
1

solid material

a piece of hard material such as wood or stone with straight sides
2

streets/area

a) American English the distance along a city street from where one street crosses it to the next:
Head for 44th Street, a few blocks east of Sixth Avenue.
The church is down the block.
b) the four city streets that form a square around an area of buildings:
Let's walk round the block.
She grew up playing with the other kids on the block.
c) Australian English a large piece of land:
a ten acre block near the city
3

large building

a large building divided into separate parts
the school science block
4

quantity of things

a quantity of things of the same kind, considered as a single unit
block of
New employees receive a block of shares in the firm.
Set aside blocks of time for doing your homework.
5

 block booking/voting

an arrangement that is made for a whole group to buy something or to vote together
6

inability to think

 [usually singular] the temporary loss of your normal ability to think, learn, write etc:
I have a mental block whenever I try to remember my password.
After his second novel Garland hadwriter's block (=he could not write anything).
7

stopping movement

 [usually singular]something that prevents movement or progress
block to
a major block to progress
roadblockstumbling block
8

punishment

 the block

in the past, a solid block of wood on which someone's head was cut off as a punishment
9

 put your head/neck on the block

to risk destroying other people's opinion of you or losing your job by doing or saying something:
I'm not prepared to put my head on the block for him.
10

sport

a movement in sport that stops an opponent going forward or playing the ball forward
11

sell

 go on the block

to be sold, especially at an auction:
$500 million worth of art will go on the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment