Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Daily listening: My English page

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Daily listening: My English page

Dig Dirt Up On Someone

Dig Dirt Up On Someone

Oct 11 2016
Intro
Did you ever think that someone was guilty of a crime? Maybe, you wanted to investigate this person. You could follow them, or you could look them up on the internet. If you’re lucky, you might dig up some dirt onthem. Then, you could tell the police that the subject of your investigation was a criminal. The police would thank you for the help. You might even decide to become a police detective in the future.



When you dig dirt up on someone, you look for bad things they did. Sometimes, we use this expression as a joke. For example, you might joke about digging up dirt on your best friend. You don’t want to get your friend in trouble, but you might want to know her secrets. On the other hand, people also use this expression to talk about serious crimes. It is important for police detectives to dig up dirt on criminals so they can put them in the jailhouse.

video.
Dialogue
Dominique: What’s the update, Renegade Andy?
Andy_: You can actually just call me Renegade.
Dominique: OK, fine. What’s the update, Renegade?
Andy_H: Well, there’s not much to tell, Captain. Not much has happened… yet.
Jordin: Yeah, like not a thing. At all. Nothing. This is the most boring dream ever.
Andy_H: WAIT! What’s that?
Dominique: What is it?
Andy_H: Oh, never mind. It was nothing…. Anyways, I had Sheila dig up some dirt on our subject.
Dominique: And, Sheila, what did you find?
Sheila: Well, I tried to dig up some dirt on the subject and see if they’re guilty of anything, but I got distractedby…
Andy_H: What?
Sheila: I got distracted trying to think of what my nickname should be.
Dominique: We get nicknames? Wait, what’s mine?
Andy_H: Captain.
Sheila: Captain.
Jordin: Captain.
Dominique: OK, that’s fine. That works. What’s Jordin’s?
Sheila: She doesn’t have one yet.
Dominique: Hmm… Maybe, we need to dig up some dirt on Jordin.
Jordin: Me? Why?
Dominique: So, we can come up with a fun nickname.
Jordin: Well, can’t I just be Jordin?
Sheila: That’s not a good nickname. It’s just your name.
Jordin: OK, fine. Um… Maybe, I could be Jordin the… Ooo, maybe like Jailhouse Jordin… like I used to be acriminal, but now I’ve changed my ways, and I help the police.
Sheila: That’s good. I like that.
Jordin: Jailhouse Jordin!

TO BE CONTINUED
Discussion
The team is still inside Andy’s dream. Captain Dominique wants to know how Renegade Andy’s investigation is going. He tells her that nothing has happened, but he feels like something will happen soon. Sheila was supposed to dig up some dirt on theirsubject of investigation, but she was distracted. Instead of investigating, she was trying to come up with an awesome nickname.

Captain Dominique is excited about having a nickname until she hears that her nickname is just Captain. She asks what Jordin’s nickname is. Jordin wants to use her real name, but Sheila tells her that’s a bad idea. So, Jordin creates a history for herself. She used to be a bad person, but now she is good. Her new nickname becomes Jailhouse Jordin.

Do you have a nickname? If you could change your name to anything, what would it be?
Grammar Point
Phrasal Verbs

Jordin asks Dominique why she wants to dig dirt up on her. Dominique says, “So, we can come up with a fun nickname.” She uses a phrasal verb.

Phrasal verbs include a verb + a preposition or adverbthat changes the original meaning of the verb. For example, a lot of phrasal verbs use the preposition “out.” Examples include break out (get away from),hand out (give to people), and, of course, make out (kiss a lot).

Some phrasal verbs are non-separable, meaning the preposition or adverb must directly follow the verb. For instance, you can say “I dropped by the bar,” but not “I dropped the bar by” because drop by is non-separable.

On the other hand, drop off is separable. You can say, “I have to drop off my son at school,” or, “I have to dropmy son off at school.”

The phrasal verb that Dominique uses is non-separable and has three parts, a verb + two prepositions: come up with. This isn’t the only long phrasal verb in English. For example, look up to means “admire,” and look down onmeans “disrespect.” There are many others, too.

Which is correct, “We need to come up with a good gift for mom,” or, “We need to come a good gift up with for mom”?
Quiz

  1. Which sentence is true?
  2. Jordin creates a story about __.
  3. Which word does NOT have the same meaning as update?
  4. Which sentence uses a phrasal verb incorrectly?

Vocab

guilty adj.

Definition

responsible for something bad or wrong

Example

I feel guilty about breaking my mom’s clock. It was an accident, but I feel terrible.

dig dirt up on someone expr.

Definition

find embarrassing secrets about someone; look for evidence of a person’s past crimes

Example

Were you able to dig any dirt up on him?

subject n.

Definition

thing or person that is being studied or talked about

Example

She is the subject of a big investigation.

criminal n.

Definition

person who commits crimes

Example

Mitch used to be a criminal, but he has turned his life around.

detective n.

Definition

person who solves crimes

Example

A detective asked Mary where she had been on the night her sister was kidnapped.

update n.

Definition

report of new information; news

Example

Is our team winning? Give me an update!

distracted adj.

Definition

not focused; unable to concentrate

Example

I can’t study right now, I’m too distracted by the TV.

come up with expr.

Definition

think of

Example

Try to come up with a good name for my band, please.

jailhouse n.

Definition

jail, prison, place where criminals are kept

Example

You should follow the law or else you might end up in the jailhouse.

change one’s ways expr.

Definition

adjust one’s lifestyle and habits; stop doing wrong and start doing good

Example

Mary used to be a very bad girl, but she has changed her ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment