Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Google+ Brooch | meaning of brooch in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English | LDOCE

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Google+ Brooch | meaning of brooch in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English | LDOCE

brooch | meaning of brooch in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English | LDOCE:

brooch /brəʊtʃ $ broʊtʃ/ noun [countable]  a piece of jewellery that you fasten to your clothes, usually worn by women SYN pin American English
brooch.jpg
Examples from the Corpus    brooch• Everybody tried to take something - a scrap of clothing, a lock of hair, a false eyelash, a brooch.• Graham was splendidly attired in full Highland dresscompletewith plaid and cairngorm brooch.• Mrs or Mme Wyatt wore patent-leather shoes and a smart brownish suit with a gold brooch.• A slightly larger percentage of pairs of brooches were more abraded on the top right than the top left corner.• Some wore cloaks clasped at the neck with huge ornamental brooches.• He decided not to mention the brooch.• After some reflection she removed the brooch, but retained the small, black stud ear-rings.• This may indicate that the brooches were consistently worn in a particular position, but not in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment