Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Daily English Lesson by My English Pages

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Monday, July 3, 2017

Daily English Lesson by My English Pages

IKEA

IKEA

Jun 30 2017
Intro
IKEA is a magical place. It is a huge store full of modern and crafty furniture. People who live in small spaces buy IKEA furniture to save space. Other people buy their furniture because it is easy to assemble. They can put it together on their own! And if you lose a piece, they have a wall full of useful bits and pieces. But IKEA is not just about the furniture. Some would say IKEA is an experience.

The store sucks you in with all of its aisles and goodies. Sometimes, they serve really good cookies as snacks for the shoppers. They even have childcare for parents who want to shop freely. Most of the time, you are in good hands when you shop at IKEA. If people complain, they usually think the instructions are cryptic and confusing. They may have a hard time assembling their beautiful new furniture!

Kelsey is having trouble assembling her IKEA dresser. Listen as she tells Marni about her troubles in today’s English lesson.
Dialogue
Kelsey: Hey Marni, I just got home from IKEA and I’m trying to assemble this dresser and it like… I’m so overwhelmed. Can you help me?
Marni: Absolutely. I am an expert in deciphering the cryptic instructions of IKEA furniture.
Kelsey: I figured. I know you love IKEA.
Marni: I do love IKEA. I mean, what’s not to love? I mean, granted it’s a giant warehouse filled with stuff and it kind of sucks you in. But… I love just wandering for hours because it is the one store I can go to and drop off my son. And then, I can just shop freely and I know that he’s being entertained with…whatever they’re doing in the IKEA childcare.
Kelsey: Well yeah, I mean I know you love it… Do you think you can help me? Like, there’s all these bits and pieces and… I need to make sure it will like, fit like with all my other furniture. Like, I shouldn’t have even gotten it yet, I don’t know what to do.
Marni: Well, I will come over and I will help you put it together, so don’t worry. And the wonderful thing about IKEA is if you’re missing any pieces, you can just go there and they have an entire wall of bits and pieces that you can go and just get what you need.
Kelsey: Really?
Marni: So, fear not, you are in good hands, I will help you get this done.
Kelsey: Thank you.
Marni: Your welcome.
Discussion
Kelsey got a dresser from IKEA. She is having trouble assembling it and feels overwhelmed. Marni says she is an expert at deciphering the cryptic instructions for IKEA furniture. Kelsey knows Marni loves IKEA. Marni asks, “What’s not to love?” Even though it is a huge warehouse and sucks you in, it’s a great store. You can drop off your kids at the IKEAchildcare and shop freely!

Kelsey agrees that IKEA is great. But she is confused with all the bits and pieces of the dresser. She doesn’t know if it will fit with the other furniture. Marni says she will come over and help her assemble it. IKEA also has a wall with lots of bits and pieces. So if you lose any, you can just go there and buy them! Marni tells Kelsey she is in good hands. She will help her get it done.

Do you like IKEA furniture? Have you had trouble assembling furniture by yourself?
Grammar Point
Count and Noncount Nouns

Marni is talking about IKEA. She says, “I am an expert in deciphering the cryptic instructions of IKEA furniture.” She uses a nouncount noun.

Count nouns are nouns you can count. They are individual units, and they can be cut into parts. Some examples of count nouns include tree, house, boy, girl, country, city, or idea.

Count nouns can be pluralized. We can have three treestwo girls, or many ideas. It is possible to use the articles a and an with count nouns, when there is only one of them. For example, “I met a cute boy today,” or, “That’s an interesting idea.”

Noncount nouns are nouns that can’t be counted or broken into parts. These nouns cannot be pluralized. They have no plural form. Liquids such as coffee or water, concepts such as love or peace, and collective nouns such as furniture or luggage are all examples of noncount nouns. When Marni is talking about IKEA, “IKEA” is used as an adjective and the noun “furniture” is not pluralized. So she says, “I am an expert in deciphering the cryptic instructions of IKEA furniture.”

Noncount nouns cannot be used with the articles a or an. To show the quantity of a noncount noun, we use expressions like some, much, less, a lot of, a little of, etc. For example, “I have a lot of furniture in my house,” or, “This guidebook doesn’t have much information about French culture.”

Which is correct, “I brought my luggages to the airport,” or, “I brought my luggage to the airport”?
Quiz

  1. Which sentence is true?
  2. Marni loves IKEA __.
  3. Deciphering is when someone tries to __ something.
  4. Fill in the Blank: I pray every night for world __.

No comments:

Post a Comment