Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Daily listening.- Rice, by My English Pages

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Friday, November 10, 2017

Daily listening.- Rice, by My English Pages

Rice

Rice

Nov 01 2017
Intro
Some foods can be eaten any time of day. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner, these basic items are super versatile. One especially common staple, rice, is a go to food for people around the world.

For breakfast, rice is delicious when mixed with cinnamon and sugar, along with some milk and raisins. For lunch and dinner, it’s tasty with a variety of meats and vegetables. Because rice is so starchy and bland, serving it with different sauces is a good way to switchmeals up.

Of course, many people have a strong opinion about rice. Either they like it or they don’t care for it at all. Even if it’s not one of your favorite comfort foods, though, rice is an easy and inexpensive dish.

Find out who’s a rice lover and who’s not in today’s English lesson about food.
Dialogue

Jessica: I just made a big pot of rice, Marni. Would you like some?
Marni: Oh, thank you. But I have to be honest. I don’t really care for rice.
Jessica: Really?
Marni: I know. It’s such a staple of so many cultures’ food, and I don’t really like it. I don’t know what it is. It’s so starchy.
Jessica: It’s so versatile. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods.
Marni: Really? You think of it as a comfort food?
Jessica: I do. I crave it. I eat it with almost every meal. I’m trying to switch to brown rice, so it’s a little healthier for me.
Marni: Right.
Jessica: But it’s definitely a go to food in our house.
Marni: Well, there are so many different types of rice. And I’ve really tried a lot of different kinds. It’s just one of those things. I just don’t like it.
Jessica: How about if you mix it with other things, like red beans and rice, or fried rice?
Marni: Sure. I can have a little bit of that here and there, but after awhile, it just feels like the same. Starchy, kind of bland...
Jessica: Well, you’ll have to come over to my house for dinner more often, and I will turn you into a rice lover.
Discussion

essica offers Marni some rice. Instead of accepting her friend’s offer, Marni tells Jessica that she actually doesn’t really like rice. Jessica seems surprised. Rice is one of her favorite foods. She eats it with almost every meal!

Marni knows that rice is an important basic food and that it’s part of many cultures around the world. But try as she might, she just doesn’t care for it. Jessica asks Marni if she’s tried mixing it with other foods. Marni has, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. She’ll eat a little rice sometimes, but it’s never going to be one of her favorites.

How important is rice in your culture? How often do you eat rice?
Grammar Point
Simple Future Tense

Jessica tells Marni, “You’ll (you willhave to come over to my house for dinner more often, and I will turn you into a rice lover.” Jessica uses the simple future tense.

We use the simple future tense to talk about things that will happen at a time later than now.

Using be going to is one way to form the simple future tense, as in, “I am going to watch a movie tonight.” Another way to form the simple future tense is with will, as in, “I will see you soon.”

In some situations, like when you’re making a prediction about the future, you can use either be going to or will. But to talk about something that’s already planned or decided, it’s best to use be going to, as in, “I’m going towatch a movie later. Want to watch it with me?”

Which is correct, “We are going to a Giants game next week,” or, “We will to a Giants game next week”?
Quiz

  1. What does Marni think about rice?
  2. What does Jessica want to switch to?
  3. Which word doesn’t belong?
  4. Which sentence uses the simple future tense?


1 comment:

  1. Vocab

    switch v.

    Definition

    change; do something different

    Example

    We should switch TV channels. This show is so boring!

    care for v.

    Definition

    like, enjoy

    Example

    My boyfriend loves horror movies, but I don’t care for the genre at all.

    comfort food n.

    Definition

    food that is satisfying because it is prepared in a simple way and makes one think of one’s family or home

    Example

    In the winter, I like to eat comfort food.

    crave v.

    Definition

    have a very strong desire for something

    Example

    I crave excitement. I hate to be bored.

    versatile adj.

    Definition

    capable of many things

    Example

    He’s a very versatile player. He can play almost any position.

    staple n.

    Definition

    basic food item

    Example

    Meat and potatos are the staples of an American dinner.

    go to adj.

    Definition

    most logical, most popular, easiest

    Example

    Gary knows everything about theater. He’s the go-to guy for plays in town.

    starchy adj.

    Definition

    stiff; does not break down easily

    Example

    I try not to eat starchy foods after 7pm.

    here and there expr.

    Definition

    sometimes; a little

    Example

    Sandra likes to go out here and there, but she’s not a big party person.

    bland adj.

    Definition

    dull, boring, tasteless

    Example

    This chicken is bland. It could use some more spice

    ReplyDelete