Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Revising old posts: THE PENNY (HAS) DROPPED

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Revising old posts: THE PENNY (HAS) DROPPED


yourwinestyle.wordpress.com
The origin of the expression by clicking the link below:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/280900.html
(UK informal) If you say that the penny (has) dropped, you mean that you or someone else suddenly understands or becomes aware of something that you or they did not know about before.
She looked confused for a moment, then suddenly the penny dropped and she burst out laughing.


SIMILAR EXPRESSIONS IN AMERICAN ENGLISH?
... "then the other shoe dropped" or "waiting for the other shoe to drop", as they are essentially American -- but as I understand it the first means "then what was bound to happen ...happened", the second corresponds to "waiting for the inevitable next event".

The image comes from hearing someone undressing in a room above. There is a "clunk" as the first discarded shoe hits the floor... the "audience" then waits for the second shoe to follow.


SOURCE: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=3978
You can see this expression in context by clicking the link below:
http://www.linguee.es/ingles-espanol/traduccion/the+penny+dropped.html

No comments:

Post a Comment