Blogger Widgets Blogger Widgets ¡Mira que luna......! Look at that moon....! Resources for learning English: Daily lesson: effectif listening

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English

!Mira que luna! Look at that moon! Resources for learning English
Fernando Olivera: El rapto.- TEXT FROM THE NOVEL The goldfinch by Donna Tartt (...) One night we were in San Antonio, and I was having a bit of a melt-down, wanting my own room, you know, my dog, my own bed, and Daddy lifted me up on the fairgrounds and told me to look at the moon. When "you feel homesick", he said, just look up. Because the moon is the same wherever you go". So after he died, and I had to go to Aunt Bess -I mean, even now, in the city, when I see a full moon, it's like he's telling me not to look back or feel sad about things, that home is wherever I am. She kissed me on the nose. Or where you are, puppy. The center of my earth is you". The goldfinch Donna Tartt 4441 English edition

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Daily lesson: effectif listening

Björk

Björk

Aug 07 2015
Intro
There are a lot of people who make music in the world. Whether you like rock or hip-hop, jazz or blues, a lot of it can sound the same. But sometimes, a musician makes music so unique, that the whole world pays attention. Björk is one of those people.

Björk adds a lot of artistry to her music. Some people do not get what she is trying to do, because a lot of it can sound very spacey. But if you listen to her music carefully, you can hear how creative and heartbreakingit can be. 
Brian and Kellie are talking about Björk’s new album. Find out what they think in today’s English lesson about an artist from Iceland.
Dialogue
English, baby! English lesson audio.
Brian: Kellie, have you heard the new Björk album?
Kellie: No. I didn’t even know there was a new album out.
Brian: Yeah, it’s been a while. I think she’s really unique. She’s not necessarily my favoritemusician, but I think she definitely has a bit of artistry in her work.
Kellie: I know. I think you’re right, but I just don’t get her. I don’t understand the music.
Brian: I’ve heard a lot of people think that she’s just misunderstood. But I think she’s just kind of a creative person, and with that, maybe a little spacey. But there are a couple songs on the new album that are really heartbreaking and touching.
Kellie: Well, I’m always interested in people who are artists. But yeah, I’ll definitely check it out. Do you have it?
Brian: Yes!
Kellie: OK. Well, let me hear it.
Brian: OK. (Brian starts singing).
Discussion
Brian recently got Björk’s new album. He thinks that even though Björk isn’t his favoritemusician, she is very unique. Brian says that a lot of people don’t understand her music because it is a little spacey. But he likes it. He even tries to sing some of her music, but he isn’t very good.

Kellie doesn’t really understand Björk’s music. She thinks that it is a little bit too weird, but she does like listening to new artists. She asks Brian to give her Björk’s new album.

Do you like Björk? Who is your favorite musician?
Grammar Point
Contractions and Abbreviations

Kellie tells Brian she is not a big fan of Björk. She says, “I don’t understand the music.” She uses a contraction.

Sometimes, we shorten or combine words by creating contractions. This is especially common in spoken English.

Usually, to make a contraction, we remove a letter or letters from a word and replace the letter(s) with an apostrophe (‘). For example, we shorten “He is feeling ill” to “He’s feeling ill.” Kellie shortened “I do not understand” to “I don’t understand.”

Some other common contractions include: aren’t for are not, can’t for can not, he’ll for he will, and won’t for will not.

Can you think of any other contractions?

Which is correct, “I don’t like broccoli,” or, “I do not like broccoli”?



  • What does Kellie think of the new Björk album?
  • Brian thinks Björk is __.
  • Which word doesn’t belong?
  • Which sentence uses a contraction?
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment